Roast butternut and lentil bobotie
• 2 Tbs Olive oil
• 500 g Butternut, 3cm chunks
• ½ tsp of each ground coriander and mixed spice
• 1 red onion, diced
• 2 large carrots, small dice
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 3 cm piece fresh ginger, grated
• 1 tsp of each ground turmeric and coriander
• ½ tsp of each cinnamon, cumin and oregano
• 2 tsp medium strength curry powder
• 2, slices brown bread, crusts removed and soaked in 1/3 cup milk
• 125 g red lentils, washed and drained
• 2 heaping tablespoons ground almonds
• 2 Tbs dried sultanas
• 1 Tbs peach or mango chutney
• 2 ½ cup chicken stock
• 400 g brown lentils, rinsed and drained
• 400 g chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• Custard topping:
• 1 cup Greek yogurt
• 2 free- range xl eggs
• pinch of salt
• 2 Tbs olive oil
• a handful of almond flakes
• 7 bay leaves
Preheat the oven to 200° C. Line and grease a baking sheet with foil. Spread the butternut out onto the baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, coriander and mixed spice. Roast for 30-35 minutes until fork tender and golden.
For the lentil filling, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion and carrot together for about 12-15 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for a further 2 minutes.
Add all the aromatics and toast the spices for a minute or two. Stir through the soaked bread, red lentils, ground almonds and sultanas. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken stock, cover with a lid and simmer for about 25-30 minutes until the lentils are soft and most of the liquid is reduced. Add the tinned brown lentils, chickpeas and chutney. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
Combine the butternut with the cooked lentil mixture. Transfer the filling to a large oven-proof dish.
For the egg custard topping, whisk together all the ingredients. Pour over the lentil filling and place the bay leaves on top. Scatter with the almond flakes and bake in a 200° C oven for about 40 minutes until the top is golden and puffed. Serve with, you guessed it, sliced banana, chutney and a fresh green salad.